Sunday, August 3, 2008

Aphex Twin: Selected Ambient Works Volume II (4.5/5)


Year: 1994
Label: Warp
Genre: Ambient Soundscapes
TRT: Disc I: 74:42 Disc II: 76:58

The first disc of this set was a very influential album for me. For weeks I listened to it every night as I drifted off to sleep, and had it on repeat so I woke up to it as well. Though it was perfect for this implementation, I saw little use for it otherwise. But eventually, it seeped int my head and settled in the cracks of my brain, and one morning when I woke up to Radiator and realized the genius behind it. While "ambient" music is exactly that, good ambient music is very intention and planned, with textures and layers and atmosphere designed to engage and entrance when paid attention to, but to slip to the background otherwise. As Brian Eno said in 1978, "Ambient Music must be able to accommodate many levels of listening attention without enforcing one in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is interesting".

Disc II never impacted me in the same way as disc I, mostly because i didn't aquire it at the same time, and haven't listened to it nearly as much. But it's still a quality album in it's own right.

Disc I
01 Cliffs
02 Radiator
03 Rhubarb
04 Grass
05 Mould
06 Curtains
07 Blur
08 Weathered Stone
09 Tree
10 Domino
11 White Blur

Disc II
01 Blue Calx
02 Parallel Stripes
03 Metal Grating
04 Windowsill
05 B+W Stripes
06 Siding Nails
07 Corrugated Tubing
08 Lichen
09 Leaves
10 Tassels
11 Rusty Metal
12 B+W Stripes II

download disc i
download disc ii

Search for Aphex Twin on Amazon

1 comment:

Nicole said...

uuuuuuuuhhhh!!

awesome!