Monday, December 1, 2008

Fleet Foxes: Fleet Foxes (5/5)

Jonathan's #2 out of 20 Album of 2008


Year: 2008
Label: Sub Pop
Genre: Baroque Harmonic Pop
TRT: 54:27

Fleet Foxes is a five-piece Seattle based band who describe their music as "baroque harmonic pop jams". This is a perfect way to describe it because in some places you'll hear 5 part harmonies that are just so beautiful paired with an up-tempo drum beat.

I bought this vinyl from my local record store "Speakertree Records" after I'd heard the internet leak, which I was immediately digging upon my first listen. I was also really impressed to see the band was releasing not only their full-length but also the ep "Sun Giant" together with the gate fold packaging. The artwork alone is a great reason to purchase these two records but once you start listening to the music you realize the talent and songwriting is rarely matched.

There are so many tracks I could highlight but they all take you on an amazing journey. Overall, I can't get over the earthy tones, harmonies, and natural feeling this one gives me.

Full Length~
01 Sun it Rises
02 White Winter Hymnal
03 Ragged Wood
04 Tiger Mountain Peasant Song
05 Quiet Houses
06 He Doesn't Know Why
07 Heard Them Stirring
08 Your Protector
09 Meadowlarks
10 Blue Ridge Mountains
11 Oliver James

Sun Giant EP~
01 Sun Giant
02 Drops in the River
03 English House
04 Mykonos
05 Innocent Son

Search Amazon for Fleet Foxes

No comments: