Monday, July 27, 2009

McDonald and Giles: McDonald and Giles (5/5)



Year: 1970
Genre: Psychedelic Progressive Rock/Pop
Label: Island
TRT: 46:02

Not to long ago a record store opened in town and I was buying a lot of vintage vinyl including: King Crimson, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Yes, Nektar, etc....

I guess after seeing me buy a few stacks from him over time, the owner of the store showed me an album that he said was pretty rare that had members of King Crimson's first album. He obviously couldn't sell me his copy but he told me if I ever saw it, I should pick it up. I went onto eBay the next day and luckily ran into the Argentinean release from '77...the price wasn't even bad.

After the first listen I knew this was such a great album...I loved everything about it. Now after listening to it many times and some from different perspectives; it is probably my favorite album of all time. I know that's almost blasphemy when we talk about the best bands in the world, but for releases individually alone it is my favorite. If I could rate it a little higher than my other 5 star ratings.....I would.

01. Suite in 'C'
02. Flight of the Ibis
03. Is She Waiting?
04. Tomorrow's People - The Children of Today
05. Birdman

Search Amazon for McDonald and Giles

1 comment:

Mattydigs said...

I agree wholeheartedly and I am a younger guy into newer psych -- Flaming Lips, Akron/Family,Animal Collective and any other psych band you can think of. This is possibly the best psych album I have. Yes I think I like it better than Dark Side of the Moon. It's too pessimistic and lacking hope. This is like the Light Side of the Moon for me :)