Thursday, January 7, 2010

Transitional: Stomach of the Sun (4/5)

Joshua's Top 10 Metal Albums of 2009
#6 of 10



Year: 2009
Genre: Atmospheric Drone Metal
Label: Conspiracy
TRT: 68:18

I was really looking forward to this release after their debut EP last year.

When it finally came out, I couldn't find it for download or purchase anywhere. Eventually a 112kbs version surfaced, which I assume was ripped directly from the stream that their label had up for awhile.

Even at that less than desirable quality, I could tell this album was worth owning. Finally I was able to track down a physical copy of my own, and I was not disappointed.

While their choice to open the album up with a 13+ minute directionless drone track is a little questionable, the rest of the album more than balances it out. Huge wall of noise paintings framed with meaty sludge riffs galore, and minimal vocals here and there for atmosphere and flavor.

I look forward to more great things from this English duo.

01 Vacant Monolith Rotation
02 Pyramid
03 In My Collapse
04 Drowning
05 Blue Sky Fall
06 Hideaway
07 El Baron
08 Stomach of the Sun
09 Worst Eyes Shut

Search Amazon for Transitional

No comments: