Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Black Angels: Directions to See a Ghost (4/5)

Jonathan's #19 out of 20 Album of 2008


Year: 2008
Label: Light in the Attic
Genre: Psychedelic Stoner Rock
TRT: 1:10:21

The Black Angels are a psychedelic rock band from Austin, Texas, formed in May 2004. Their name derives from the Velvet Underground song “Play The Black Angel’s Death Song”. This album has the same exact feel through-out the entirety of the album but there are only a few spots that started to lose my interest, which is saying a lot for the creativity of The Black Angels in this genre. There were also, spots where I hear the vocal empathy of Jim Morrison styled melodies and I love the eastern feel of track 6 "Deer-Ree-Shee". I feel that this is a definitive original style the band has given to the ever growing popularity of the sitar sound. The music has a way of droning you into the infectious grooves like sirens singing to the shipwreck. I feel like every time I listen to this album I'm in it for the long haul, because this is a lengthy album but I can't turn it off before it's come to its end.

01 You on the Run
02 Doves
03 Science Killer
04 Mission District
05 18 Years
06 Deer-Ree-Shee
07 Never/Ever
08 Vikings
09 You in Color
10 The Return
11 Snake in the Grass


Search Amazon for The Black Angels

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job! Thank you!!!