Thursday, November 20, 2008

Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground: Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground (4/5)

Jonathan's #17 out of 20 Album of 2008



Year: 2008
Label: "Vinyl Collective" Suburban Home Records
Genre: Psychedelic Pop
TRT: 52:34

First things first, I had no idea what to expect when I first heard this except for that it had amazing artwork. The cover has a giant eyeball with an irregular rainbow and a gathering of clocks with everything mirroring itself. Not to mention the record itself is a milky rainbow and the label is the same eye on the cover spinning over and over. Psychedelic in all the ways that I love it.

As I was listening to the music I noticed the voice sounded so familiar but it wasn't necessarily a good reminder. As the album went on I realized it was Gatsby's American Dream, sure enough I looked up the band on last.fm and it read two members from GAD. Now this initially was a bad thing for me but as the album went on I really started enjoying his vocal performance on all the songs, and there are a lot of songs on this double record gate fold which is limited to only 300 copies.

On the specifics of the album I'd have to say it reminds me a lot of the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album. Also "Bowie the Desert Pea" (side B of record A - the first song) has a John Bonham (Led Zeppelin) drum beat right out of "When The Levee Breaks" at the beginning of the song. None-the-less this is a great group of songs by this fantastic new band.

01 Into The Realm Of The Unknown
02 Hey Momma'
03 Birds (On a Day Like Today)
04 Simon Courage Flees The Coop
05 Ol' Rum Davies
06 Bowie The Desert Pea
07 Santa Cruz Lined Pockets
08 Bloodstone Goddess
09 Cloud Country
10 Swan Ink
11 Night of the Star Child's Funk
12 One Ought To See
13 All Alone


Search Amazon for Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground

No comments: