Thursday, December 31, 2009

Grizzly Bear: Veckatimest (5/5)

Jonathan's #2 out of 20 Album of 2009



Year: 2009
Label: Warp
Genre: Psychedelic Baroque Folk
TRT: 52:04

I pre-ordered this as soon as I saw it was available...because I just knew after "Yellow House" this had to be amazing. Well, it actually surprised me more than I had initially thought.

The first thing I noticed was that it wasn't a gatefold but when I looked inside, it had a really nice booklet with big beautiful pictures of natural landscapes and unique shots of their instruments. After my first listen of the album...I thought it wasn't as good as "Yellow House", but after the next listen I was thinking it might be better. Grizzly Bear is just extraordinary with unimaginable sounds that give me feelings that I've never experienced with any other recordings.

The music here is dynamic psychedelic folk with beautiful melodies and graceful harmonies...it's great to listen to at almost any moment. My favorite part of the band is how progressive the drummer can be as it really adds to all the other textures the band has. After thoroughly listening to this recording, I can easily see how Grizzly Bear has stretched themselves far beyond what they were doing on "Yellow House", even though I still love that one. I believe this will definitely be a timeless album for all the future to come.

01 Southern Point
02 Two Weeks
03 All We Ask
04 Fine For Now
05 Cheerleader
06 Dory
07 Ready, Able
08 About Face
09 Hold Still
10 While You Wait for the Others
11 I Live With You
12 Foreground

Search Amazon for Grizzly Bear

No comments: