Thursday, December 31, 2009

Shapiro: Shapiro (4.5/5)

Jonathan's #6 out of 20 Album of 2009



Year: 2009
Label: Dweeb Records
Genre: Indie Rock/Pop
TRT: 41:35

I went to the release show for this vinyl LP in Harrisonburg, VA on my birthday...and all the guys in the band are really fun people to hang out with....so I knew this album was going to make my top 10 back in April. Also, interestingly enough; I used to be in a band with Chris (guitar) back when we played metal.

I love that every gatefold cover has a different unique stamp as Nathan (guitar and background vocals) inked up his foot and started stomping....mine is smeared crazy off to the right, not like the one above. Also, they only pressed 100 of these and they numbered them so I now own 36/100.

The music on this recording is really great and original. Jeremy's (vocals and piano) voice is really well recorded and has such a great depth to it. I feel like every song is an elegant pop hit with hints of some rock in the vein of Queen but definitely with a way more modern feeling.

01 Right and Wrong
02 All Things Around the Sun
03 I'm Not There (You Can't Talk to Me)
04 When I'm With You (Soporific)
05 L-E-A-V-I-N-G
06 One Hit Pitch Pipe
07 Emily
08 You Had It Coming
09 Battle of Beatrix
10 For Something to Do
11 Prelude

Big Cartel for Shapiro

No comments: