Friday, February 22, 2008

Marissa Nadler: Songs III: Birds on the Water (4.5/5)

#9 out of 10
Non-Metal Album of 2007

Year: 2007
Label: Kemado
Genre: Atmospheric Folk

I kept coming back to this album throughout the year, and it always struck me as inherently beautiful. Miss Nadler's voice has a timeless quality to it that is simply enthralling, and reminds me of Vashti Bunyan. Couple that with well-written, dark, and simple folk music and the result is irresistible.

Also of note is her cover of Leonard Cohen's classic Famous Blue Raincoat, which I actually like even more than the original.

01 Diamond Heart
02 Dying Breed
03 Mexican Summer
04 Thinking of You
05 Silvia
06 Bird on Your Grave
07 Rachel
08 Famous Blue Raincoat
09 My Love and I
10 Leather Made Shoes

Search Amazon for Marissa Nadler

No comments: