Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tegan & Sara: The Con (5/5)

#3 out of 10
Non-Metal Album of 2007

Year: 2007
Label: Vapor
Genre: Electro-Folk
TRT: 37:07

I had very high expectations for this cd, as I loved the album that preceded it, So Jealous. Thankfully, these Canadian twins were up to the task. Not only up to the task, but far and away beyond the task. Whereas So Jealous was a fun collection of upbeat indie pop-rock tracks, The Con is a dark and intimate electro-folk masterpiece. My one and only complaint with So Jealous was it's length, it was about four songs and twelve minutes too long, it just sort of tapered off and released me attention. The Con seems like it's over before it starts. The fourteen tracks flow seamlessly together, and at the end of your 37 minute journey, the only thing to do is start it over. I listened to this cd nearly non-stop for almost a month before I bought it on release day, and it was probably another month after that before it left my cd player. Not a single track is superfluous, not a single second is wasted. It's amazing how far they've come in nine years.

01 I Was Married
02 Relief Next to Me
03 The Con
04 Knife Going In
05 Are You Ten Years Ago
06 Back In Your Head
07 Hop a Plane
08 Soil, Soil
09 Burn Your Life Down
10 Nineteen
11 Floorplan
12 Like O, Like H
13 Dark Come Soon
14 Call It Off

Search Amazon for Tegan & Sara

No comments: